How to play Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm has a particular game style, especially because it changes radically depending of the map (in HotS they are commonly referred as “battlegrounds”). So, to make this an article that is also understandable for newcomer to this game, we will discuss the general strategies instead of focusing on the specific strategies for different battlegrounds.
The game is based on 5v5 matches, and each of the players will control a hero. It is meant to be played strategically by working with your team as a unit to demolish your enemies. The main goal is to destroy the enemy’s team core, which is a structure located in the deepest area of their base. It is protected by turrets that do a ton of damage (similar to LoL and Dota), however, despite the fact that the main objective is the same as other MOBA titles, the key difference is that dependent on the map, the way to destroy the enemy’s core will change. This in turn means that strategies and gameplay vary depending on the battleground.
Team composition is really important in Heroes of the Storm; knowing each of the classes and composing a good team with these components, will have a great impact on your game. Let’s talk about the classes and describe their role in the match when you play each one of them:
- Assassin: Assassins deal a large amount of damage, especially to a single target. Their objective is to decimate the enemy heroes, focusing on the ones that are more troublesome in team fights.
- Warrior: Warriors are the tank class in the game, they are made to withstand a lot of damage. Warriors usually possess crowd control abilities to disable their enemies and avoid their participation in team fights.
- Specialists: This class doesn’t have a lot of specific characteristics, it depends on the hero. The most common thing you can capture among the heroes of this class is that they have an incredible potential to destroy the enemy’s base.
- Support: As the name suggest, they are meant to support the entire team. They do so by healing or buffing their teammates. They are extremely important and every composition should have at least one.
- Multi-Class: The multi-class works as a high utility role that can transform to whatever the team needs. The only hero that is a multi-class at the moment is Varian, High King of the Alliance, which can be fill a tank or assassin role.